Saturday, March 10, 2012

Butternut Squash Oven Fries

A few weeks ago, I was looking for a recipe for sweet potato oven fries and came across this recipe and finally got around to making it this evening.

The recipe calls for salt to be mixed into the oil you coat the fries with. I did that, and also added about a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and maybe half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.

I also found that mine cooked much more quickly than the recipe indicated - I skipped the reduced temperature baking entirely.

I found them to be really good. Not really crisp, but they had a texture much like a good-but-not-great steak fry. And, I think my intuition on seasoning was a good one. I'd set aside some to share with my neighbor lady, and if I hadn't run out of the ketchup I'd put in a little cup, she wouldn't have gotten hers!

I'm not a huge french fry guy, but it's really nice to have an alternative.


4 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness! I simply ADORE fries! It's horrible the pull they have over me. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture. YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what I'm buying AND what's gonna be for dinner tomorrow?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey good idea! Ray doesn't like sweet potatoes so I've never pursued making those fries, but he might just go for these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been a fan of sweet potato fries because they don't get crisp. I would like to try these, but alas, hubby is kinda set in his ways about trying things like this.

    ReplyDelete