Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ducks in a Row

There's one kitchen practice that I've followed with increasing consistency, to the point that I essentially always doing it when cooking from a recipe. That's the practice of having my ducks in a row before I get started.

(The pros have a fancy term for this, but we needn't trouble our pretty heads about them.)

Having my ducks in a row means that I have everything gathered before I get to the recipe's first step. I get all the ingredients not only measured, but prepped. If the recipe calls for a cup of minced onion, I mince a cup of onions. If the recipe calls for softened butter, I dig the butter out the very first thing.

(On the cooking shows, you'll see displays of cute little bowls, each containing a separate ingredient. Because I don't especially like doing dishes, I'll usually add ingredients to the same bowl if they come into play at the same time. For example, many baking recipes call for adding the dry ingredients all at once, so for those recipes I'll measure those ingredients into the same bowl.)

There are a number of big advantages to having my ducks in a row:

1) There's no discovering when it's way too late that I'm out of something. If I discover such a lack while I'm still in the prep stage, I can either make a store trip or make another plan.

2) If things get going fast, I won't have garlic burning in a hot pan while I'm measuring out chicken stock. This is especially important when stir-frying.

3) It helps me keep my small kitchen less cluttered. When getting my ducks in a row, I will get out my flour canister, measure out what I need, and put the canister away. If I try to measure out the flour when things are moving fast, I won't have the time to put the canister (or anything else) away and what little counter space I have will quickly disappear.

4) If I need to use a measuring cup or spoon more than once in prepping a recipe, I have the time to wash and reuse.

Your ducks. In a row. Put them there.

3 comments:

  1. I tend to get all the ingredients out, but I don't measure them until I actually add them to the recipe. I am very bad about not putting anything away until the recipe is mixed and cooking. Then I have to go sit down and let my back unkink, meanwhile my kitchen looks like a storm hit it.

    Eventually I do get back and clean up after myself. I've always cooked this way and am probably too old to even think about changing now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a small kitchen too and it's imperative that I limit my clutter. I don't even have room for a Kitchenaid, which I dearly want.

    Now I know what to get you for Christmas.....measuring cups in the shape of ducks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because I know the phrase (I am half cajun/creole) I have to use it. Mise en place [miz on plas]. :)

    You are far more organized than I am. :)

    ReplyDelete