Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chimichurri, and Other Things

I didn't put in the kitchen time this weekend, but there were a few things worth mentioning. Here are a few bullets:
  • Have you ever tried chimichurri? It's Argentinian and is sort of a counterpart to pesto. I made this version and found it fabulous. I used it as a marinade for a sliced round steak, and really enjoyed the result.
  • As a side note, I'm beginning to accumulate a lengthy list of foods I've prepared without ever having them as prepared by somebody that knew what they were doing. Chimichurri is just the latest example.
  • A pizza place in my area does a cheeseburger pizza I've enjoyed, and I decided to try one on my own. I cooked up some ground beef and made a sauce from catsup and mustard. The pizza, which also included a few pickles and some cheese, was pretty good. I could have been more heavy with the sauce, which I'd applied lightly because I was a little afraid of the mustard dominating the flavor.
  • I used the food grinder attachment for my mixer to take a first shot at making sausage. I made an Italian sausage which I did not put into casings. The result was okay, if a little dry when cooked into patties, but I had some problems. I'll write more about sausage making at some point. 
  • I made another attempt in the great tomato sauce quest I mentioned in my last post.  This version featured anchovy paste (I'll use less next time) and the soaking water from reconstituting shitake mushrooms. I even wrote down what I was putting in! The sauce was pretty good, but I'm not home yet.
  • Tonight, I used the hamburger left over from the pizza, the rest of my sausage, and some of my sauce to make an un-lasagna casserole. I also put in whole wheat pasta, the mushrooms I'd soaked earlier, and several cheeses. It's very good, the tastiest thing I made this weekend.  (Okay, second tastiest: that chimichurri steak was delicious.) Plus, it's a win because I hadn't needed a recipe to make it.   
Now, quit reading blogs and go make chimichurri sauce! (Hmm...what might a chimichurri chimichanga be like?)

2 comments:

  1. I sooooo need to visit so you can feed me. :P At this rate, you're going to be a far better cook than me! I have never attempted a chimichurri sauce nor have I ever cooked or marinated with one. You are turning into one amazing cook!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things that impresses me about your cooking adventures, Bob, is that you are making such a great variety of things! Heck, you are making some things that I've never even heard of (I guess I need to get out more, eh?) Well done, and I agree with Princess LadyBug about visiting so we can taste! :)

    ReplyDelete