Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Big Trouble for Little Onions

For all the cooking shows I've watched, there are only a few times I've attempted to directly reproduce something I've seen made on a TV show. I've learned a vast amount about ingredients, techniques, and combinations, but have rarely attempted to take a specific recipe from screen to table.

I did it tonight.

I've wanted to make balsamic glazed onions for some time, since a friend mentioned loving them. I've looked at some recipes, but not really been called to action by any of them. But tonight I was watching the Cooking Channel with my neighbor lady, and Giada De Laurentis started making them. Giada's shows aren't my favorite, simply because little of what she cooks fits with what I'm trying to do right now. But what she did to those onions looked like JUST what I wanted to do, so I came home and did it.

I chopped the ends and outer peels off a handful of cippolini onions and a handful of pearl onions. (The show hadn't used pearl onions, but I didn't have enough cippolini onions to make it worth it.) I made a dressing of about 2/3rds inexpensive balsamic vinegar and 1/3rd olive oil. I added salt, pepper, and dried oregano to my dressing. (The show had used fresh thyme rather than dried oregano.).  I lined a small baking dish with parchment paper (to ease cleaning) and threw in my onions and my dressing and got everything coated. I then put the pan in a 450 degree oven, and left it there for an hour.

(I -love- roasting things. Am I really a cook or a slow pyromaniac?)

The results are delicious. When I first pulled my onions, I thought many of them were burned, but that proved to be crusted love. What little liquid was left was simply concentrated fabulous. (You didn't know that "fabulous" was a substance that could be concentrated? You do now.)

I'm thinking pizza with these onions. More specifically, I'm thinking pizza with these onions accompanied by goat cheese and roasted tomatoes. I may be thinking this well into the night.

POSTSCRIPT 4/4/12, 11 PM When I removed the parchment paper from my dish, I found a mess underneath it. Next time, I'll use aluminum foil. 

4 comments:

  1. Love your comments about your cooking. I learn something every time. This time is was that fabulous can be oncentrated. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, you've made my mouth water! These onions sound delicious. I have no idea what cippolini onions are. I, unfortunately, live in a culinary backwater. I'm sure that other onion types would work....right? and....Am I really a cook or a slow pyromaniac?....hahahahaha. You always make me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY!! I LOVE balsamic roasted veggies. :)

    Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Crusted love" is a term I will try to incorporate into my daily vocabulary now :)

    ReplyDelete