Friday, April 6, 2012

Pizza Again

I described making homemade pizza in this post, and I've made pizza more or less the same way every weekend, refining my method.

I've arrived at the conclusion that the way to go is to make my crust as it is done in the recipe, except I (1) use only half the dough, (2) roll it out as thin as I can, (3) let it rest for a while, and (4) roll it out as thin as I can get it again. This produces a crust that is very thin and also a little bit smaller.

Tonight the toppings were roasted onions, roasted tomatoes, and goat cheese. Here's a shot of the whole pizza and a close-up:

Tomato onion and goat cheese pizza - closeup


The crust was nice and crispy, almost cracker-crisp. I meant to try docking the crust, but forgot, so I had the big bubbles you might expect from water becoming steam VERY rapidly. (Being laid on a cast iron griddle that's been brought to 500 degrees will do that.)

The flavor was good, but missing a little something. I think it needed something herby, and maybe some more salt.

However, with this pizza I'm confident that I can consistently produce pies as good or better than I can get delivered and for a fraction of the fat. Win!




2 comments:

  1. You are just amazing! I love adding herbs to my pizza crust or a light brush of a flavored olive oil over the whole thing before I put on the toppings.

    Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, my mouth is officially watering. Well done, indeed!

    ReplyDelete