Sunday, May 20, 2012

Beginner's Notebook: Quick Lessons From the Day

1. If you're going to make a dish (oh, say, gumbo) that relies on shrimp (in the recipe I was using), it's a good idea to sniff the shrimp BEFORE you chop your veggies.
2. On the other hand, meals made from abruptly orphaned ingredients have the potential for accidental fabulousness.
3. In the process of making cake doughnuts, I overworked the dough. I thought the final product was a little tough, though my neighbor lady didn't think so.
4. I still need to figure out how not to get overheated in summertime cooking situations. I don't think I stayed adequately hydrated today. I didn't get sick, exactly, but I wasn't feeling all that well when I finished up today.
5. I am unconvinced that deep frying is worth the hassle. I guess the smaller amount of oil my multicooker used would be easier. I'm glad I tried the stove stove top method, however.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, sorry about the gumbo. What did you accidentally make instead?

    What about a couple of fans? One blowing air in & one blowing air out?

    Depends on what you're frying. French fries? Nope not worth the hassle when they taste good in the over (or toaster over). Fried chicken? Heck yeah it's worth the hassle. :)

    ReplyDelete