Monday, May 14, 2012

Small Fry

I picture a scene from a cheesy war movie with the German officer preparing to torture the downed pilot. "Herr Pedersen, we have someone here you've been avoiding for a long time. His name is Frying. Deep Frying."

Deep frying. Kitchen fires. Unhealthy food. Oil to dispose of. Improperly fried food turning into a grease slick. Yeah, that deep frying. Did I mention kitchen fires? Greasy french fries. Overcooked chicken. Odors that stay around for days. Oily mist over the entire kitchen. Plus, the risk of kitchen fires. Who needs it?

I don't. Except I do.

One of the things that drives my kitchen adventures is the possibly baseless belief that I'm better off making for myself those foods that aren't good for me but which I can't lay aside completely.

And, every once in a while, I really-really-really want doughnuts.

And, while there are recipes for baked doughnuts, seriously: doughnuts are fried.

And, tonight, I made some. Sort of, anyway.

(I have deep-fried once before, the target food being tofu. I like tofu, prepared well, but that's hardly what deep-frying is for, now, is it?)

I think I'll spare you the saga of my search for a recipe and why I chose the one I did. But I settled on  Orange Sugar Fried Doughnut Holes,  from Food Network host Sunny Anderson.

I think I'll also spare you the play-by-play. But I didn't start any fires. And the doughnut holes were tasty. And, mixing orange zest into the sugar is a neat trick.

I will tell you that I'll be obtaining a doughnut cutter and that I don't intend on using pre-made biscuit dough again if I can avoid it. It's just not right.

But I deep-fried.

"You see, Herr Pedersen? It is YOU that have your methods."


4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on using biscuits. It may be quicker and easier, but it's still not doughnuts. ;((

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danke! I used to have a Fry Daddy when I had small fries at home. I always wondered why my husband wasn't doing all the work. I'm so proud of you for not setting fire to your kitchen! Mad skills, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, doughnuts! Sorry. Had to be done. :)

    Giada has some good recipes on Food Network for doughnuts (zeppole) that do NOT involve canned biscuit dough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is perhaps the greatest regret in my blogging life that I didn't think to name this post "Rolling in the Deep." :)

    ReplyDelete