Thursday, May 24, 2012

Time Heals All Pies

Well, actually, time probably DOESN'T healed all pies. But it healed this one.

The other night, I set out to make the Icebox Strawberry Pie I'd seen made on the "Cook's Country" television show. The filling was made by cooking down 2 lbs of frozen strawberries, adding some sugar and some softened gelatin, then folding a pound of sliced fresh strawberries immediately before folding into the baked pie crust. (I used store-bought pie dough this time.) The big thing in this recipe was working with gelatin, which I'd never done before except for commercial Jell-O.

After the pie had set in the refrigerator for the specified four hours, I discovered that I had, well, strawberry soup. And, because I'd overfilled the shell, I had a strawberry soup mess. I took another look at my recipe and discovered that while I had added the lemon juice to my gelatin powder, I was supposed to add water. I figured that my pie was doomed to staying soup, but it was reasonably tasty soup, so I cleaned up a bit and stuck it back in the fridge.

24 hours later, I had actual pie. Go figure.

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! Where do I sign up to be a taste-tester for your kitchen?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. All things come to him who waits.

    ReplyDelete