Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cheater's Avocado Salsa

I like making salsa verde. I like roasting tomatillos and chiles, I like chopping garlic, onion and cilantro. I like buzzing the whole mess up in my food processor and adding salt and a bit of sweetener. I especially like eating my salsa verde.

What I like even better, though, is the thin, spicy avocado salsa they have at a local Mexican restaurant. My initial efforts to reproduce it produced this easy, tasty, dip.

Ingredients:



  • One (or more) ripe avocado
  • Canned or bottled salsa verde

    1. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mash the flesh.
    2. Add enough of the salsa verde to reach a consistency you like. I like it fairly thin, a little thicker than a tomato sauce, certainly thinner than what I think of as avocado.

    I eat this with tortilla chips, but I can easily see using it as a sauce for any number of things. It's not yet what I was aiming for, but it's quite tasty.

    2 comments: