Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Culinary Institute of YouTube

A number of months ago, I decided that I was going to learn how to cut up a whole chicken, and I did an Internet search for instructions. My search turned up a YouTube video. I went and watched that, then saw that there were a number of other videos demonstrating the same skill. I spent an hour or more watching videos from different sources, each with a slightly different spin on the process. The next day, I purchased a whole chicken, watched my favorite video one more time, and then cut my chicken up quite successfully.

It turns out that there are MANY YouTube videos demonstrating a cooking task or recipe. From YouTube, I have learned not only chicken disassembly but also how to make homemade mayonnaise in my blender and an unfussy approach to sweet potato gnocchi. Just this morning, I watched a video on tempering chocolate and dipping truffles.

Not all the videos are good, of course, or fit the way I want to cook. But for someone like me who's trying to pick up these skills on my own, YouTube can be a big help.

3 comments:

  1. There are some really good ones on there. I also find some on the Food Network's website too. Also http://www.howcast.com/ & http://www.ehow.com/ can be good sources. Sometimes it's been such a long time since I did something that I need a refresher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Princess, for identifying these additional resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as you didn't do it like Dan Akroyd did while channeling Julia Childs on SNL! ;)

    ReplyDelete