Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pickled Roasted Red Peppers

Peter Piper, Mother Goose tells us, packed a peck of pickled peppers.

Food-wise, that Peter Piper knew what he was about.

Here's why YOU should pack some pickled (red bell) peppers: they're fabulous little flavor bombs. They are savory, a little bit sweet, a little bit spicy, and a little bit pucker-y all at once. They can be used to add deliciousness to salads, cooked vegetables, and other foods. They are entirely non-fat. I think these pickled peppers are the first thing I made for myself that had me literally stomping my foot.

These little beauties are a type of "quick pickle". Quick pickles don't have the shelf life as their refrigerated cousins, but they're fast, easy, and delicious. And roasted red bell peppers are a wonderful candidate for this method.

Roasting bell pepper (and other chiles) is really straightforward. (It's also the entry point to a world of homemade salsas.) Putting the brine together is easy. So why wouldn't you do it?


The recipe I've used is here. The only change I make is to increase the amount of pickling spices to more like a teaspoon.

Notes:
1. I have successfully made quick pickles with sugar substitute. However, my understanding is that preserved pickles, the kind that can be stored at room temperature, can NOT be made with sugar substitute because the sugar is part of the preservation.
2. If you don't have pickling spice blend, or don't find them in your store, there are any number of recipes around. I've made my own blend, but prefer the convenience of the pre-made blend.
3. Yes, you can purchase roasted red peppers, and I assume they're good. But at the stores and delis where I've seen them, you might have to sell off your relatives to afford them.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE roasted red bell peppers, but I don't think I've ever tried them pickled. I'm not a huge fan of pickled stuff. There is a brand of sugar-free bread & butter pickles that I like, but don't eat them often.

    ReplyDelete