Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Truly Luscious Salad

OK, this recipe probably ought to be posted in the summer, but it's really yummy, and I think it would make a nice lunch salad even in winter. I'm sure many people have made this salad, but I got it out of my imagination rather than out of a book.

Ingredients:
Roughly equal amounts of:
  • avocado
  • fresh tomato
  • fresh mozzerella (by which I mean, the stuff sold in balls, often soaking in milk
Bottled Italian dressing or a homemade equivelent*
Salt and pepper

1. Cut the avocado(s) in half, remove the pit(s), scoop out the flesh, and roughly cube it. The size is up to you: my version is pretty chunky
2. Cut the tomato(s) in half, scoop out the seeds, and cube to more-or-less the same size as the avocado.
3. Cube the cheese to more-or-less the same size as the avocado and the tomato.

Drizzle with the dressing and season to taste. If you're using a bottled dressing, you're probably getting more than enough salt from that.

* Homemade vinaigrette is really easy and extremely versatile. (Here's one cook's take on it.) However, I've yet to really incorporate them into my daily life, in part because I don't eat much green salad, especially at home. If I want a green salad, I'm just as happy to let a restaurant do the chopping for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment